• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MarvelousSauce

MarvelousSauce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member of the boards. My name is Sarah, and I'm in the process of writing a fictionalized biography/biographical novel about Wilson Bentley. I've been a bit obsessed with him since first discovering him last year, wrote a series of poems about him, and now it's transforming into a novel.

I've found a number of websites about him (leading me to this site), and have read Blanchard's book as well as the "Man of Science, Man of God" book (can't remember the author off the top of my head right now). I'm also lucky enough to be located in Buffalo, so I'm going to the Science Museum on Monday to see their collection, and am going to Jericho next weekend. Does anyone have any other particular interesting resources that you can point me in the direction of? The more I have to draw from, the richer I hope my novel will be. (:

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

Sarah

#2 pawolf

pawolf

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the Bentley Board, how about posting a poem or two for us. Be sure to check the Bentley Exhibit at the Old Red Mill and Bentley's Grave site across the road from me. The Bentley CDROM is a great resource too for a complete listing of articles published by Wilson Bentley.

Peter

#3 Jon Nelson

Jon Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hi Sarah,

You could also look at the newsletter articles on this website.
Duncan Blanchard's book, which you mentioned, is the only comprehensive biography of Bentley I know of. Other than the book and the newsletter, you could post your specific questions and maybe someone can answer them.

Good luck with the novel,

Jon

#4 MarvelousSauce

MarvelousSauce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Thanks! Peter, can you tell me a little more specifically where Bentley's grave is? I definitely plan to check that out, as well as the Red Mill exhibit.

I assume that his farmhouse is still standing, but privately owned? Has anyone ever been able to contact the owners to view the house at all? I was intending to drive by, but would love to see the farm more closely--I just don't want to harass the owners if they're constantly getting besieged with visitors!

Sarah

#5 pawolf

pawolf

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

The Jericho Center Cemetery is at the top of Barber Farm Rd. His grave is on the far right side looking from the road about halfway up.

The Farmhouse is still there and privately owned. I think they have an art gallery there so you may be able to check it out.

#6 lthomps3

lthomps3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Hello, my name is Linda Bentley Thompson and I am interested in seeing a family tree of Wilson Bentley. My father, Robert Bentley, came from Syracuse, New York, but the genealogy of the family shows them first in Rhode Island then in Vermont and southern New York State. I think the family bears quite a resemblance to Wilson, and just wanted to see if I could connect them. Is there someone who could help me with this?

Sincerely,

Linda Bentley Thompson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users